Friday, June 25, 2010

Women of Faith: Favorite Summer Time Memory


 
Summer officially began June 21. Tell us the story of a favorite summertime memory!

 It's so hard to pick just one...summer time always was and still is one of my favorite times of the year, right up there with Christmas! The thing that comes to mind when thinking about the summer is bikes and our family vacations to the good 'ole mountains of New Mexico. Sometimes those memories are separate, each their own, and other times they meld nicely together. Oh, the stories I could tell you, the lessons learned, adventures taken. (Hmm... just might share those with you soon.) :)

Here's how these memories all began...

It was my birthday, August, hot, not a cloud in the sky. I remember my mom acting all goofy, making excuse upon excuse to keep me in the house (which was hard to do if I didn't have my nose stuck in a book). When finally, she peeked her head into the back door and yelled for me to come outside. When I went outside I could not see my mom nor dad, so I headed around the house to the drive way. When I took the turn around the house there they were, standing right next to a bubble gum pink bicycle. It was mine! All of it. It's pink-ness, white banana seat with bright balloons on it, streamers flowing from the handlebars, white basket with brightly colored flowers on the front. I could not believe it! I know even at the very young age what a gift this was from my parents, how hard they worked to get it.

Wait...it gets better. I remember my dad helping me on, mom holding the Polaroid camera poised for "the shot." I kick up the kickstand, dad gives me a push, holds on for a second, then let's go! I've got it!! Sailing down the driveway, doing great....then I get to the end of the driveway where there is a small dip and it happens...down I go, stunned, dad right there by my side. He picks me up, picks up the bike, gives me a hug and says, "Try it again." It's my dad, I trust him. I repeat the process over and this time-no crashes! Just sweet sailing on the bubble gum pink bike with the white banana seat. Somehow in that moment, at such an early age, I learned what it means to not give up. That things will happen, life will not always go the way you want. You may "crash" and scrape your knee, but the important thing is to get up, let others help you, and things always have a way of working out.

Want to hear more adventures of the bubble gum pink bike?
Keep checking in...
and remember if you "crash" along the way...
things always have a way of working out...
there is a plan, Gods' plan.
Jer. 29:11

4 comments:

  1. Great story!! I love that early determination and will to not give up!! Jer. 29:11 is one of my very favorite scriptures too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *still* ride a bubble-gum pink bike! I opted for no hand grip streamers, but I must admit.. I was tempted! :) Thanks for sharing your great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gina! Jer. 29:11 is great! Thank you for reading and hope you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are/were great bikes Dasha! I wish I still had mine. Hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for stopping by Simply Created by Cole. I love this space for conversation and community. Won't you join us on this journey?!{Please keep this space honoring to God and to those who visit, thank you.} Love, Cole

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...