Friday, July 30, 2010

Good in the "gut punch" times

In college...
I was in a group called the Navigators...
It is while there that we had a saying:
God is good. All the time.
All the time. God is good.

Over the past couple of years there have been some really life changing, deep things happen. It is one of those times that I want to share with you. (out of respect, personal details will be left out...thank you ;))

This last year I received a horrifying call, the kind of call you never want to get. It was evening so I headed to my parents house (they live in the same town). When I got there, I learned that she had been in a car accident. We did not know how bad nor did we know the exact location. We took off right away...me driving...my dad in the passenger seat next to me...making several calls.
It is on that drive that I prayed liked I never had before...
Once there we RAN to her. Past the medics, past the firefighters, all of them. She was conscious, talking, and surrounded by those helping her. It is in those moments that I looked, really looked at what had happened. The entire right fender was gone, the entire right half of the windshield and hood was gone...shards of glass everywhere... It was in those moments that I heard a comment from one responder surveying the scene that punched me in the gut...
It is in the waiting room of the ER praying with friends who came to sit with us until the wee hours and praying w/ our Pastor and Youth-Pastor that I could only thank God. Completely shaken, completely broken, completely in shock (it had set in) that I thanked God. I thanked Him for his Goodness. I thanked Him for protecting my mom, I thanked Him for the car being a BIG car, I thanked him for the first responders, I thanked Him that she could call for help, I thanked Him for family and friends that were there. I thanked Him that she had absolutely no cuts or visible bruises. I thanked Him for the smallest and largest of details that night.

But mostly, over and over....I thanked Him for my mom and the goodness of God in the situation. You see, that's all I could do.

It. was. all. out. of. my. hands. 

In that moment, in that time, God gave me a glimpse of just how Sovereign and in-control He is. That He is Good, All the time. (even when we get "punched" in the gut)


Photo credit courtesy of weheartit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

The Fruit of Goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for stopping by Simply Created by Cole. I love this space for conversation and community. Won't you join us on this journey?!{Please keep this space honoring to God and to those who visit, thank you.} Love, Cole

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...